Inter-House Committee Asks Parietal Extension

Midnight Deadline on 2 Weekends Sought

House Committee chairmen yesterday passed a unanimous resolution asking House masters to allow girls in students' rooms until midnight on the evenings of the Dartmouth and Yale games and until 10:30 p.m. on the Friday before the Yale game.

Present unamended rules permit women in the Houses from 1 to 7 p.m., and from 1 to 8 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.

The proposal comes before the seven Masters when they meet next Wednesday. If a majority favors the plan, it seems likely that the new deadline will go into effect, although parietal rules are theoretically set by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences as well.

No Comment

No Housemaster would comment on the resolution last night. Their attitude was summed up by Dr. Ronald M. Ferry, associate professor of Biochemistry and Master of Winthrop House, who said, "General MacArthur made the mistake of opening his mouth this summer, and I can assure you I don't intend to do the same."

The proposal was suggested to House Committee chairmen yesterday by Henry M. Silveira, Jr. '51, president of the Student Council, after the council approved the motion last week.

Sign-in rules were waived during the last home game with Yale in 1948, when girls were allowed in the Houses from 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Although official rules let each master set time limits for his own House, the masters usually meet to coordinate regulations for all seven units.