Soccer Team Surprises Penn With 5-3 Upset

Right Side of Line Defense Steer Crimson To Third Win in Game at Philadelphia

By Humphrey Doermann

The varsity soccer team journeyed to Philadelphia Saturday and defeated a favored University of Pennsylvania squad, 5 to 3.

Shaking loose from Penn's tight man for man defense, the goal-hungry right side of the Crimson forward line scored four goals within 15 minutes in the first half to put the game beyond the Quakers' reach.

Harvard was up for this one, while the Red and Blue seemed overconfident, finished by its recent win over Princeton.

Penn kept the ball in Crimson territory for most of the game, but the fine netminding of goalie Dick Craven limited enemy scoring to two screen shots and a penalty.

Craven made 16 saver and covered many more near-misses in smothering the powder-keg left side of the Penn line.

Crimson thrusts, on the other hand, wire few, but accurate. The only ten their taken at the Red and Blue nets all afternoon produced half as many goals.

The first score of the game came at 11:20 of the first period, when Captain Ted Wolf punched in a cross from right wing Ben Goldstein to put the Crimson ahead. Three minutes later Goldstein centered another pass to Vern Drehmel, who scored to make it 2 to 0 for the visitors.

Penn Retaliates

Penn roared back a minute later to cut the Crimson lead to one goal, and again at 18:50 of the initial quarter to tie up the ball game at two all. Both Red and Blue tallies rifled off the left foot of Bob Colquhoun, Penn captain and center forward.

Within the next eight minutes, Drehmel and Goldstein had scored another goal apiece to hand the Crimson a precarious 4 to 2 halftime lead.

For the first time this season the new kick-in seemed to have raised the scoring. Three Harvard scores and one Penn tally had been placed near scoring position by long looping sideline kicks.

Penalty Shot

Another new rule gave Penn its third goal as the second half opened. Last winter the N.C.A.A. soccer rules committee decreed that a goalie could no longer dribble the length of the penalty area before getting rid of a ball. The goal-keeper can now only take four steps before throwing, or punting it.

An indirect free kick was called against Harvard 12 feet from the goal mouth as goalie Craven was charged with taking five steps before clearing a shot. Penn's Colquhoun made the penalty good, closing the margin to one goal.

For the next half hour the Red and Blue frantically pounded the ball deep into Crimson territory only to be turned back at the last moment. Then, with only seconds left to play, substitute right wing Jim Johnson took the ball, broke past the Penn fullback defense, and banged a final shot past the Penn goalie as time ran out.

Threatening to break loose all afternoon was the powerful left side of the Penn line--Joe Devaney, Stan Alexander, and Colquhoun. But for the fine defensive play of fullback Charlie Ufford, and halfbacks Latsi Berger and Bob Harding--called into position by goalie Craven--the Penn score would have been a different story.