Band to Parody 2-Platoon System During Half-Time at Army Game

"Substitutions Unlimited," a parody on the two-platoon football system, will be performed after two years' preparation at half time of the Army game next Saturday. An offensive and defensive band, each having 75 men and 35 substitutes will trot on and off the field in an attempt to out-platoon the Army football team.

Malcolm Holmes '23, band director, dreamed up the idea and John Finnegas '47 has arranged the music. The score will introduce eight instrumental specialists, the best of the band alumni and present members, to short solos.

In these solos, no instrumentalist will sound more than three notes and will mostly play just one note. William J. Reinhardt '47 will come up from New York and may play the world's largest tuba in one solo.

"This musical scrimmage," says Paul Lucey '51, band manager, "we hope is going to be the best band drill and band music ever put on in any stadium during half time." The band will hold several practice drills this week to get the timing as nearly perfect as possible.

Army's hopes of sending its 50-man professional band to the game were recently cancelled along with plans for sending the whole cadet corps. This will give the Harvard band twice as much time to perform at the half.