Council to Retain Jurisdiction Over All Charity Drives

The Student Council decided last night, by a vote of nine to five, to keep the Combined Charities Committee under its jurisdiction.

Under the proposal passed, the council's supervision of the group will be limited to: 1) approval of officers and overall policy; 2) countersignature by the council treasurer of all charities checks; and 3) membership of the treasurer in the unallocated funds committee.

Robert P. Hyde '51, chairman of the Charities Committee, who urged severance of the group's connections with the council, said last night. "The decision was reached after sufficient discussion, and we will abide by it."

Hyde felt his committee could operate "more efficiently" if affiliated with Phillips Brooks House instead of the council.

Constitutional Changes

Students will elect council members to to serve from February to February in December in the futude instead of for the regular academic year, according to a constitutional revision approved last night.

As expected, the group passed a revision calling for the appointment by the Union Committee of two freshmen to serve on the council until the end of their first year. A surprise development occurred when these two new delegates were granted voting powers.

Another important change sets up a committee of "at least four and up to six additional members who must be appointed by a two-thirds council majority before November 1 to undertake long-range advisory and evaluation projects."

Methods of nominating candidates for the council were also changed last night. Under the new system, aspirants will not be nominated in open house meetings but must circulate petitions for signature.