Holy Cross Looks Improved Line Hits Hard, Backs Fast

By Peter B. Taub

Dr. Edward N. Anderson has returned from the Mid-West and is in the process of giving Holy Cross a highly respectable football team. Dartmouth, which had the good fortune to gain a 21-21 tie with the Crusaders at Hanover Saturday, and the 13,000 eye-witnesses will attest to that.

The present Holy Cross steam is quite different from the ones which have proceeded from Month St. James in the recent past. Crusader linemen used to be large immobile mon; the current vintage is lighter (the program fixes the average weight of the line at 196) and as a result is faster and able to charge harder.

Mostly Returnees

Anderson's team, which is made up largely of men who played last year, showed remarkable poise and confidence Saturday, playing its first game under a now coach, against a favored opponent, and in front of a partisan audience. The outstanding addition to the squad, one of two sophomores on the starting team, is Charles Maloy, an extremely deceptive ball-handler and a very good passor.

Working with Maloy in the Cross backfield were fullback Bob Doyle and halfbacks Jon Turco and Mel Massucco. They are fast and they carry out their fakes with surprising effectiveness. The Holy Cross T lines up with Massucco behind the quarterback and Doylo and Turco to Massucco's left, Maloy can then fake to Massucco and hand off to Turco, or fake to both halfbacks and lateral out to Doyle. May Holy Cross plays start out as end runs, with the ball carrier knifing off tackle instead.

The left side of Holy Cross offensive line was the key to the Crusadr running attack. Tackle John Feltch and guard Bob Jachowics opened up the Dartmouth defense and Jachowics provided interference on end sweeps. Feltch played almost the entire game and stood out on defense as well.

The Crusades were weak defensively at the guard positions, and Dartmouth made short gains through the middle of the line--mainly between its own left guard and center--whenever it needed them. The Purple ends floated much of the time, and for that reason Dartmouth was able to turn the ends fairly easily. The line-backers moved up quickly to keep the Indians from breaking the game wide open, but this made Holy Cross quite vulnerable to passes. The fact that the backers-up played close to the line, and indeed one of them would move in to form a seven-man line, meant that the defensive halfbacks would frequently reach a Dartmouth receiver just as he caught the ball on a button-hook pass. The defense was sucked completely out of position on Dartmouth's second touchdown; a 12-year-old could have caught Clayton's pass and scored, for there was not a Holy Cross defender within 29 yards.