Whole Man Group Selects Freshmen For 4 Year Study

Questionnaires from the "Undergraduate Study of Harvard Education"--the "Whole Man" report--have been sent to an undisclosed number of freshmen picked at random, Council member Donlad L. Blachmer '52 announced last night.

Blackmer said that the committee had sent the following explanation in letters to the freshmen: "A committee has been formed by the Council for the purpose of conducting a study of the Harvard education and determining as objectively as possible the total effect of the four-year educational experiece on the individual student."

The study, begun by David C. Poskanzer '50 and Dominique H. Wyant '50 last fall, will be a survey of the way the college changes the student in his four-year career. The freshman questionnaires are designed to get the objectives of the students before they begin college.

The last Council Education Committee headed by Poskanzer used a personal interview method of research, and then reported the answers of nearly every student subject. It viewed mainly the formal teaching system, while the "Whole Man" committee hopes to take in all contacts a student makes in Cambridge.

(Besides Blackmer the study's fourman committee is composed of Thomas R. Ewald '51, Archibald C. Sponcer '51, and Thomas C. Price '51.)

The group will change each year, but will remain under the Council.