Conant's Football Slate Order Stung Committee

Conant's Directive to Drop Army, Cornell Was Resisted by Schedule Making Group

Pressure exerted by president Conant and Provost Buck to get an easier schedule for varsity football in 1952 met resistance to the point of threats of resignations by some members of the Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports last spring, when the committee was called by William J. Bingham '16, director of Athletics, to make the preliminary arrangements for determining the schedule.

The CRIMSON learned last night that the committee felt "it was taken out of our hands" when it was informed that it could not consider Army, Cornell, or Pennsylvania as eligible opponents in '52.

Committee Starts Schedules

Authority for preliminary scheduling rests with this committee, but members found that orders from the two top men in College affairs were orders they could not disobey.

The action by Conant presumably was in concurrence with a memorandum on football at Harvard requested by the Corporation from Buck last winter and submitted by him to the President and Fellow last spring.

Students Lead Revolt

When the committee convened late in the spring, Bingham informed it of the elimination of Army and Cornell and the ineligibility of Pennsylvania. Opposition came particularly from the three undergraduate members, Donald E. Trimble '50, representing major sports, Wilbur M. Davis '50, minor sports, and Roger V. Pugh, Jr. '61, intramural sports.

They and some of the graduate members expressed indignation that the committee's authority was being limited, and more than one offered to resign.