University Given Odd Gifts, Funds for Greek Students

University officials are always appealing for unrestricted gifts to Harvard, but each year the University is given an odd not of donations that must disturb the auditors.

The classics last year received aid when $100,000 in scholarships was left for those studying Latin or Greek with a preference for those taking "ancient Greek." A $3,000 fund was left for the purchase of "books on Invertebrate Paleontology for the Geological Library."

Latrobe, Pennsylvania, became an important point on the University map this year when a $5,000 scholarship fund was established for residents of that town who want to study engineering or applied science. The donor did give Harvard an ont, since say resident of the western part of Pennsylvania may get the scholarship if Latrobe fails to produce a competent candidate.

Odd contributors also appear on the University books. The Elks gave Harvard $250 scholarships; the Massasolt Greyhound Association gave the Department of Legal Medicine $1,000; and donations also came from the Champion Spark Plug Company, Swift and Company, National Biscuit Company, and Gillette Safety Razor Company.