Crimson Holds Long Contact Drill

Isenberg Still Ailing; Stan Britton Out With Sprained Ankle; Passing Attack Stressed

He captain still in the infirmary with a cold, the varsity football team scrimmaged the jayvees for one hour yesterday afternoon in what was probably its last real contact work before Saturday's season opener against Columbia.

Trainer Jack Fadden expected Isenberg back today or tomorrow. In the meantime, Paul O'Brien filled in at his defensive line backer position and Dusty Burke continued to run with the first string as left halfback.

Fadden also reported that Stanley Britten, a six-foot, three inch sophomore end, sprained an ankle during Tuesday's practice, and did not realize it until late Tuesday night. It is doubtful whether Britten, first siring defensive right end, will be able to play against the Lions.

Another end, varsity letterman Hob Di Blanio, dropped from the squad; he was recuperating from a recent appendectomy.

Three Varsity Elevens

The scrimmage sent the three varsity elevens against the jayvees--first in a purely passing drill, then mixed running and passing. The three quarterbacks--Carrell Lowenstein, Gil O'Nell, and Hardy Cox handled the passing. The varsity's running attack was unspectacular, although Dave Wardon and Johnny West contributed some commendable work. Fritz Drill, a recent addition to the varsity squad, ran with the third team and caught several of COX's passes for sizable gains.

The first team contained one lineup change: Fred Ravreby moved up at right end in place of Hank Rate, who ran second string with Dike Hyde. Dick Heidtmann, formerly a tackle, was working at guard with the second team.

Defense Line Up

Against a jayvee-directed Columbia offense, the varsity defense lined up with Hyde, John Nichols, Heldtmann, Phil Connelly, Bill Rosenau, and Rate in the line; Tommy Ossman and O'Brien backing up; Warden and Burke at the halves; and Warren Wylie at safety.

This defense, which includes three men who were also first string offensively (one of them Burke), held the jayvees to negligible yardage. Earlier, the junior varsity had operated the Columbia passing attack against the varsity while Lowenstein, O'Neil, and Cox throw simultaneously in an offensive session.

Albie Booth, the outstanding 145-pound back, on Yale's 1929-30-31 teams, will referee Saturday's game. Booth worked the Army-Colgate game last weekend.