Jayvee Practice Shows Good Line, Weak Backfield

A fluctuating squad of 40 men has showed up so far for junior varsity football practice, Jayvee Coach Norm Shepard announced yesterday.

In the coming week the team will be bearing down on its own plays in preparation for the opener one week from tomorrow against Leicester Junior College, but these days it's just fedder for the varsity.

As a result of scrimmaging the varsity, losing six good men to Lloyd Jordan's ranks, and not getting the entire group in practice sessions at the same time, Shepard admits that his team is still in a state of flux.

Practice has been devoted largely to conditioning members and holding routine drill on fundamentals, with some intra-squad scrimmaging and running of plays from the T and winged-T formations.

Heavy Through Line

In spite of the loss of 195 pound guard Ell Manos and 208 pound tackle Syd Kane to the varsity, the Jayvees are currently fielding a fairly good line. Big right end Fritz Drill worked out with the varsity yesterday afternoon, but the chances of Shepard's losing him permanently are not known.

Junior Don Cass runs behind Drill on the right flank, and at the other end of the line George Mullen and six-foot, four-inch Art Rohn have shown their ability.

Heavyweights George Batchelder, Si Bunce, Stan Miller, and Bill Hickey are fighting it out for the tackle positions, and, with Manos gone, the guard slots are open to juniors Joe Shaw, Dave Hanson, and Kostas Mathew, plus several newcomers. At center Dave Waring is chief challenger to Bill Monteith.

With Dick Duback, Bob Peters, and Ronnie Noonan moving up, Shepard has been experimenting with his backfield. Outsanding performers thus far have been Lou Tsavaris, John Ingraham, and quarterbacks Bill Kierstead and Howie Finney. Finney, a fairly proficient passer, was recently shifted from left half.