Record Total Made Dean's List Last Year

Over 42 percent of the College--more than over recorded before made dean's list last year, according to figures released yesterday by Sargent Kennedy '28, Registrar.

This was a gain of almost eight percent over the previous year, 1940-50, and it represented a gain double to that which had occurred in the preceding eight year period.

Last year's freshman class, taken separately, also set a record for dean's list inhabitants. About 39 percent of the Yardlings ended up in the first three rank list groups, also a gain over the previous year of about eight percent. The freshman figures came from Dean Leighton's office.

Seniors who weren't on the dean's list at graduation were in the minority last year, for 52.5 percent of the graduating class placed in group three or above.

Official Impression

The College-wide rise was indicated in the middle of last year when all classes showed gains over 1948-49. Commenting yesterday on the general picture, Kennedy said, "We're a little astounded."

This gain in dean's list totals is remarkable in view of comparable figures compiled since 1920 when 19.6 percent of the College was in the first three groups. During the 20 years leading up to 1940-41, which was the best pre-war year, the percentage jumped to 31.8. It rose about three points over the following eight years.

Last year a total of 262 freshmen made dean's list, out of an enrollment of 1,110. Sophomores totaled 446, juniors 468, and seniors 785. Percentages for sophomores and juniors were 35 and 44.1 respectively.

No authoritative predictions have been made as to how selective service policy will affect rankings this year.

The present draft policy suggests, but does not insist, that boards exempt from service men in the top half of their class