Fund Raising Lags, But Bills Are Paid

The $3,000,000 bill for the Graduate Center will be paid, even though the graduate schools have not raised all the money needed to cover the costs.

The contractors have nothing to worry about; but various graduate schools may have some financial problems in the immediate future.

The Treasurer's Office is paying the building expenses as they come in; the costs of the dormitories, in excess of what alumni have given, are being met by loans to the various faculties -- to be repaid later out of the gifts and in some cases, departmental surpluses.

Cost Were Less

Costs for the Graduate Center have not been as high as were first anticipated, when Professor Gropius and his assistants made the initial drawings.

Tentative first figures for the center buildings that the eight new buildings would cost over $3,500,000. As soon as the architects began getting bids from contractors the total cost dropped to about $3,000,000.

Vice-President Reynolds said yesterday that the final expenses would be within a fraction of one percent of that figure.

While the buildings were going up. Architects Collaborative were able to make additional savings. These savings, however, were plowed back into the center through the ordering of additional and the spending of more money on landscaping.

The Corporation gave $1,000,000 for the Commons Buildings and the land for the entire Graduate Center -- an area which before the war have been the Divinity School tennis courts and right after the war contained temporary housing for married veterans.

The rest of the money was to be raised by the Law School and the Harvard Foundation for Advanced Study and Research -- the alumni organization of the Graduate Schools of Arts and Sciences, Education, Design, and Public Administration.

University officials informally established a plan by which the Law School would be asked to raise twice as much as the Foundation. Plans indicated that about twice as many Law men would live in their five new halls as graduate school students would in their two.

Law School Starts Drive

The Law School started a capital drive for $2,500,000 of which $1,650,000 would go for the Graduate Center and for the renovation of old school buildings. The drive has raised $1,694,000 so far, Wesley F. Bevins, director of the campaign, reported yesterday.

Some of that money, including a $255,000 bequest from Thomas Nelson Cromwell, is restricted to other purposes, so that officials estimated the fund still needs over $300,000 to meet its share of the centers expenses.

At the same time the Foundation began a three year campaign was to go for the new dormitories for $1,300,000, of which $1,000,000 and $300,000 for research.

Gordon Huggins, executive director of the Foundation, said yesterday that $344,000 had already been pledged for the drive of which $239,000 may go for the new buildings.

Since the drive announced its goals the cost of the two Foundation buildings has been reduced from $1,000,000 to $700,000. James R. Reynolds '23 said yesterday that any money raised over $700,000 would go to research projects of the Foundation.

Goals Reduced

Both the Law School and the Foundation drives will continue until they are nearer their goals. Once these capital drives are out of the way both groups are thinking in terms of an annual request for alumni, funds, much as the Harvard Fund now solicits College alumni.

Meanwhile officials hope that the opening of the center will encourage new gifts so that they can reach their quotas. However, they admit that people are less interested in and less likely to give to a finished project. It lacks some of the excitement of an experiment -- like the Graduate Center -- under way but not completed.

Law School Starts Drive

Goals Reduced