Mid-Term Grade Plans Reach Council Tonight

Possible Renewal of Compulsory Exams

Compulsory mid-term examinations and grades in all courses may come closer to enactment tonight when the Student Council, at Dean's Office request, considers the issue.

This return to a World War Two policy was first announced as a possibility in Provost Buck's seen-point preliminary mobilization blueprint of September 28.

Now, before the Administrative Board introduces the measure to the full Faculty of Arts and Sciences on Tuesday. October 17, the Student Council gets a chance to consider the motion. Its decision will not bind the faculty, however, since the council's function is wholly advisory.

Mid-term exams and grades might help the College grant credit to a student who is drafted before completion of a half-course. But since students are now usually deferred until the end of a tem or academic year, this "cumulative credit" system is not yet believed necessary.

The Council tonight will also discuss the possibility of reinstituting the wartime policy of two sets of General Examinations each year. The Administrative Board has already disapproved this plan, however, and, although the council can recommend its enactment, it is not likely that it will be put into effect now.

Superior Students Deferred

Other college mobilizations developments over the weekend--on a national level--included a new draft proposal and a meeting in Washington of educators from 600 U.S. colleges and universities on "long range plans for higher education in today's troubled world."

The draft proposal, made Friday by the Selective Service Board's Scientific Advisory Committee (but still not approved by the overall board) would defer all superior students, whatever their fields of concentration.

Roger W. Hickman, lecture on Applied Physics and assistant to the provost, represented the University at the Washington meeting. The delegates agreed that the "present purpose of education is to help fulfill the nation's short-range need for technical and military personnel, while at the same time guarding the nation's long-range welfare by continuing to develop leaders in the fields of Humanities and Social Sciences."