Requiem

Class committees lasted just two years. When the Student Council abolished them Monday night, it was not taking positive action; it was merely admitting a fact. For class committees were never really alive.

The council hoped in 1947 that election of committees would help restore to the Classes of 1950 and 1951 and their successors a feeling of unity which had obviously been shredded by wartime disruption of College life. The council charged the committees with organizing at least one dance a year and with getting the Senior Class Album started.

Since then, committees of '50, '51, and '52 have attempted to fulfill these functions and to do as much else as they could to promote unity and to combat the disuniting influence of the House system.

The result has been student apathy, negligible addition to unity, and considerable loss to the council's treasury. In addition, Albums have disappeared in favor of the permanent Yearbook Publications. Where class dances have consistently cost money, House dances have become increasingly successful, and the Crimson Key last spring made a fair start toward establishing an annual "All-College Dance."

It was just a question of time until the class committees followed their functions into oblivion. The council wisely and economically cut the time short.