Defenders of the Goalposts

Singing But Unsung Heroes

It has long been obvious that on Saturdays in Soldiers Field, some of the strongest and most determined defense has been seen after the final horn ending the football game. At first, it is defense by authority (see below) and this is often enough to turn away the sodden hordes of invaders from at least one of the HAA's goalposts.

But authority is seldom able to prevail at both ends of the field, and it takes resistance of a more purely physical kind to turn away the main assault. It is a long, and sometimes bloody, fight. The goalpost always falls in the end, partially through the pressure of its defenders falling back on it.

What is odd is that Harvard defenders are willing and enthusiastic about performing this thankless heroism week after week. They leave the comfort of the stands, the solace of their companions in misery on the homeward trek over the Anderson Bridge, and, in some cases, their dates. In exchange, they have an opportunity to be punched, kicked, knocked down, disrobed, and robbed by hordes of boisterous invaders from other colleges and waves of enterprising gamins.

Credit Line

Much of the credit for the way in which the crowd is "up" for every game, week after week, goes to the cheerleaders, (left) who give untiringly of themselves by cavorting along the sidelines while the audience fuels itself for the battle.

Equally important is the band, (right) a model of precision marching and perfected drill that is a guide and inspiration to the post-game stalwarts, who justly deserve the title of "the best defensive lineup in the East."