Glittering Gotham Beckons to Pleasure Seekers

A vast and enjoyable hurdle sprawls between Cambridge and Princeton, N. J. it is a large city with a newly elected mayor tabbed "liapy," a brightly-litteland purchased from some Indiana who didn't own it, and an over-whelming number of pleasurable distractions. The voyaging pigskin addict must pass through that town twice: the voyaging bedonist may never cross the Hudson. It is for both types that the CRIMSON's presents its Hymarx edition of One and The New Yorker, unabashedly aware that the Campus of big city life may slun those used to nothing more confusing than Lloyd Jordan's T-formation attack.

Food and Dancing

If you leave here this afternoon, New York's restaurants will probably tempt you first. You will most likely with to get an far away from dining hall food as possible, a simple matter if you hit for the Sherry-Netherland.

Fifth Ave. at 59th Street. The Carnaval Room features dinner and supper dance music by sundry gypsies and Lester Lanin. Drop down a couple of blocks to 152 E. 55th Street, if you prefer, and be amused by a half-dozen entertainers while you cup at the Blue Angel. Le Huban Bleu 4 E. 56th, features no less then ten nightclub artists to distract you during supper. Le Coq Rouge, just down the block from Le Ruban at 65 E. 56th, supplies Phil D'Arey's trio and Eddie Davis's orchestra. There is dancing here, very hard while you're eating but not bad if you're drinking. If you are after the best, and you have just lost a little-known relative in the oil business, don't dally--take off for "21" W. 52nd.

Returning to earth, Joe King's "G.A" at 190 Third Avenue is tops for inexpensive German-American food, thick brew in thicker glasses, and community singing. Lum Fong, of all things, specializes in Chinese food rocking with authenticity.

At least a dozen fine hotels offer dinner and dancing. The Biltmore on Madison at 43rd supplies fine food, and a quiet place to sit and even to drink. Such independent enterprises as Salle de Champagne, 135 McDover St. in the Village, provide similar fare.

Music

For noise, regular jazz and bop houses are supplemented tonight by weekly Second Avenue jam sessions at the Stuyvesant Casino, 9th St., and the Central Plaza, 6th; last week and fairly regularly Bill Davison, Rex Stewart, George Wettling, Wellman Braud, and Joe Sullivan graced the former, while Hot Lips Page, Willie the Lion Smith, Big Chief Moore, and Benny Morion livened up the latter.

Jimmy Ryan's is the last 52nd Street place on 52nd St., between Sixth and Fifth Avenues. Such giants of American music as Jimmy Archey, Pops Foster, and Tommy Henford are oking out their livelihoods there now. Back downtown, Eddle Condon's 47 West 3rd, features Davison, Edmund Hall, and Ralph Sutton. Nick's, Seventh Avenue and 10th, employs Pee Wee Erwin's ensemble at present. Birdland, Broadway and 52nd, has a considerably less garish bill of fare than usual, headed by Art Tatum and Lennie Tristano's popular group.

Billy Eckstine appears with the George Shearing Quintet at Carnegie Hall at 8:45 tomorrow night. Richard Dyer-Rennett will start a recital of his famous collection of folk-songs five minutes earlier at Town Hall.

Music on the more serious side includes simultaneous rival presentations of Verdi's La Traviata, by the Metropolitan Opera and the New York City Opera Company (City Center, 131 West 55th) tomorrow night. The latter group puts on Aida at 8:15 tonight, Carmen Sunday afternoon, and La Boheme Sunday night.

The New York Philharmonic performs under the direction of Dimitri Metropoules at 2:30 p.m. today and at 2:45 p.m. Sunday at Carnegie Hall.

Sports

If the football game in Princeton does not quench the weekender's thirst for sports, it might be worth noting that Laurent Dauthuille and Paddy Young, two of the finest middleweights around, have a ten-round go at 10 p.m. tonight in Madison Square Garden.

The Chicago Cardinals move into the Polo Grounds Sunday afternoon to try for their second straight win over the pennant-contending football Giants. The Rangers meet another Chicago squad, the Black Hawks hockey team, in the Garden Sunday night.

For those with money to burn, Yonkers Raceway will help burn it. Post time for the first is 8:40 p.m. today and tomorrow, the last two days of the trotting season. Special trains leave Grand Central at 7:11 p.m.

The Horticultural Society of New York offers a restful sight for sore eyes with its 43rd annual Fall Flower Show at 160 Central Park South from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. today and from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. tomorrow.

Theatre

This year's theatre season has turned up no smash hits so far. The best entertainment in both plays and musicals is left over from last season; chances are if a show holds on for more than a year, it's worth seeing.

South Pacific (Majestic, 44th St. W. of B'way) is still a great hit, now starring Ray Middleton and Mary Martin. Cole Porter's Kiss Me Kate, (Shubert, 44 W.) with Anne Jeffreys and Ted Scott, is still packing them in. The Saga of Lorelei Lee, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, (Ziegfeld, 54th St. and Sixth Ave.) continues with Carol Channing and Yvenne Adair in leading roles.

Ethel Morman's singing and Irving Berlin's music are the saving graces of Call Mc Madam (Imperial, 45th), a disappointing show considering the amount of talent involved. The grace and Paul Hartman revue, Tickets, Please! (Mark Hellinger, B'way and 53rd) is a first-class, consistently funny musical revne.

In a class by itself is Mike Todd's Peep Show (Winter Gardon, B'way and 50th), which features a lot of near naked girls in a rough and boisterous show.

No less boisterous is Pardon Our French (Broadway Theatre, B'way and 53rd), the now Olsen and Johnson explosion featuring Denise Darcel.

The only long-run comedy on the boards is Mister Roberts (Alvin, 52nd W.). For heavy drama, Death of A Salesman (Morosco, 45th W.) packs a powerful punch, with Thomas Mitchell as the salesman. The Cocktail Party (Henry Miller, 43rd E.) and The Member of the Wedding (Empire, B'way and 40th) both offer good serious drama.

Peter Pan (St. James, 44th W.), starring Joan Arthur, is a good evening of fun. Welcott Gibbs' tale of life on Fire Island, Season in the Sun (Cort, 48th E.) is this season's first comedy hit. The best comedy, however, is Christopher Fry's literate The Lady's Not For Burning (Royale, 45th W.), which opened Wednesday.

Opening tonight is Clifford Odets' fine drama, The Country Girl (Lyceum, 45th S.), starring Paul Kelly and Uta Hagen.

Two ballet companies are in town. For entertainment to suit even non-ballet taste, Les Ballets de Paris (National, 41st W.) is offering several new works. Marquis de Cuevas' Grand Ballet (Century, Seventh Ave. and 59th) offers a large variety of classical ballet.

Cinema

As far as movies go, New York is definitely having a substandard weekend. Now features at the big houses are American Guerilla in the Philippines (Astor), starring Tyrone Power and Michelin Prelle; King Solomon's Mines (Radio City Music Hall), with Deborah Kerr and Stewart Granger; Robert Taylor in Devil's Doorway (Capitol); All About Eve (Roxy); and J. Arthur Rank's Prelude to Fame (52nd Street Trans-Lux).

L'Affaire opens tomorrow at the Little Carnegie, while Bitter Rice (Italian) hangs on at the World, Paris 1900 at the Paris, Marriage of Figaro at the Little Cinema, and for those who might possibly not have seen it, the Red Shoes is at the Bijou. The Happlest Days of Your Life closes at the Little Carnegie with tonight's showing. W. Somerset Maugham's Trio plays at the Sutton.

The best show in town ends tonight at the Beverly, Third Avenue and 50th: Horse Feathers and Monkey Business with the Marx Brothers.