Undefeated Princeton Boasts Power Laden Offense and Defense Squads

Coach Has Manpower To Stage 'Old Type' Attack Successfully

In evaluating his team's pre-season chances, Princeton football coach Charlie Caldwell quaintly remarked that if the 1950 Tigers equaled their six victories of the previous year he would be "the happiest coach in the profession." Last week, Princeton blasted Colgate 45 to 7 for its sixth straight win, and if tomorrow's game with Harvard at Palmer Stadium goes as most forecasters expect it will, Caldwall should be beside himself with joy at nightfall.

Currently rated just a notch below Army as the top team in the East and ranked eighth in the nation by the Associated Press, the Tigers have a very good chance to go through unbeaten this season for the first time in history. After tomorrow's game with the Crimson, Princeton has Yale and Dartmouth left to play and neither team has shown comparable class.

This year's Princeton team has just about everything--speed, size, experience, and depth. The first offensive unit, which has rolled up 226 points so far, is composed of nine lettermen, an experienced reserve and a sophomore. The defensive unit has seven lettermen, three very good sophomores, and one reserve. An indication of its effectiveness is the fact that it leads the Ivy League in total defense, having allowed but 212.7 yards per game. The figures include non-Ivy League opponents.

Loaded With Letterman

In putting together this year's Tiger team, Caldwell had a good nucleus from last season's eleven which won the Big Three title for the third straight year. Twenty lettermen were back, the freshmen team had some good looking prospects and a transfer student (from Northwestern) added to the generally rosy picture.

Of course, Caldwell suffered losses through graduation. Among the notables gone were Captain George Sella, a very good wingback, fullback John Powers, and three offensive line veterans, Don Cohn, Norm Moore, and Julian Buxton. Yet despite the "losses," the Tigers have knocked off Williams, Rutogers, Navy, Brown, Cornell, and Colgate on consecutive week-ends. The schedule is not particularly impressive, but Princetin's easy 27 to 0 victory over last year's Ivy League champion Cornell went far towards proving the Tigers real mettle.

An exponent of "old-style" football, which calls for lots of hard shoulder blocking and emphasizes fundamentals, Caldwell operates from a Michigan type single-wing. The Tigers do a lot of straight rushing, yet have a buck-lateral series which injects sufficient razzle-dazzle into the attack to keep defenses honest.

It's All Manpower

However, the style of offense is not the key to Princeton's success. The big factor is personnel and most experts who have watched the Tigers in action this year agree that they would be equally potent operating from the T or the Notre Dame box. The manpower is there.

Key man in the backfield is Dick Kazmaier, the 168-pound tailback who was the Ivy League leader in total individual ground gaining last season. He is currently second to Penn's Red Bagnell in that department, which can be attributed partly to Princeton's more balanced attack. Kazmaier, shifty runner and a very good passer, is remembered locally for the part he played in Princeton's 49 to 14 victory at the Stadium last year.

Jack Davison, who broke open last year's game with the Crimson with four touchdown jaunts, is back at fullback for the Tigers. A 190-pounder Davison has good speed and is one of the two Tigers who plays both offense and defense. Directing the Orange and Black attack is veteran quarterback George Chandler, the captain, whom Caldwell calls the "most underrated" player in the Ivy League. Chandler, 195 pounds, is a fine blocker and play-caller.

Unger for Sella

Taking over for Sella at wingback is Bob Unger, a sophomore, who won the job from more experienced competition. Unger is currently the individual scoring leader in the Ivy League with five touchdowns and 13 conversions for 43 points. He is a left-handed passer, which gives the Tigers an added threat whenever he takes the ball on reverse.

Along the line, offensively, the Tigers are not particularly big. John Bunnell and John Emery, 195 pounders, are both tall, with Emery going six-four. Neither is a sensational pass receiver, but they have the blocking ability essential to the single-wing.

At tackles are 197-pound Chuck Hemminger, a reserve last season, and George Kline, a senior letterman. Kline weighs 201 pounds and is a vicious blocker. The guards are small, with Al Clark, a letterman, weighing only 178 pounds and his running mate, George Hawke, going 185. The center, 186-pound Al Hickok, is the Tigers' other two-way operator. He backs up the line on defense.

When the Tigers give up the ball (which is rare), the big men go to work. The most widely publicized of the defen- sive platoon is six-foot, four inch, 225 pound Holly Donan. The giant tackle gained All-Eastern honors in 1949 and is being boomed as an All-American this year. At the other tackle slot is Brad Glass, 202 pounds, a rugged sophomore who made his way to Old Nassau after spending a year at Northwestern.

The defensive ends are senior lettermen Bob Chamberlain and Cliff Kurrus, at 185 and 197 pounds, respectively. The guards, both 190-pounders, are Hal Urschel and Canfield Brown, the latter the captain of last year's freshman team.

Backing up the line, in addition to Hickok, is 192-pound Red Finney, listed as a center. Davison teams with Dick Pivirotto at the halfbacks while speedy Ed Jannotta, a sophomore, is the safety man