Brown's President Supports Conant Program for Draft; Eisenhower May Favor Plan

Congress Will Get Bill; Army May Back It

Henry M. Wriston, president of Brown University, said yesterday that he strongly favored President Conant's Universal Military Service plan.

At the same time it was learned that General Dwight D. Eisenhower, president of Columbia, may also come out behind the proposal in the near future. Eisenhower has not yet taken any public stand on a long-range solution to the nation's manpower needs.

The same high college officials who reported Eisenhower's feelings on the draft also stated that other high military men can be expected to back the Conant plan against Universal Military Training and over the program proposed by General Hershey's Advisory Committees. The official asked not to be identified at this time.

This district's congressman, John F. Kennedy '40, said last night that some Congressional discussion has already taken place on Universal Military Service, and that, under the usual procedure, a bill for the plan will be introduced into bill for the plan will be introduced into Congress either this or early next term.

Explains Plan

Wriston explained that so far only the principles of the Conant proposal have been drawn up; details will have to be worked out in the future, he said. He argued that the present draft plan would not produce enough men for the services and thus he favored a system with no deferments. Under U.M.S., all men would be drafted at 18, and spend two years in training.

Main advantages of the plan backed by Conant, Wriston stated, were that the student, would not have his education interrupted, that he could pick his vocation without reference to the draft, and that no intellectual elite would be created.

He agreed with Conant that the present international situation warrants implementation of U.M.S., even though the effect on some smaller colleges may be harmful. While Conant is writing for Look's December 5 issue, Wriston will write another article defending his and Conant's position in the January issue of "Ladies" Home Journal."