Soccer Team Downs Springfield, 3-2; Drehmel Gets Three in Uphill Battle

By Humphrey Doermann

An inspired second half surge returned Bruce Munro's Crimson bootets to the winning road as the soccer team overcame a two goal deficit to defeat Springfield, 3 to 2, on the Business School Field yesterday. Vern Drehmel tallied all three scores on center crosses from Ben Goldstein. The right side of the forward line ran the tight Maroon and White defense into the ground during the final periods.

Slow First Half

The tape-and-liniment condition of the team was all too evident throughout the first half, for the fast Springfield offense kept the ball deep in Crimson territory most of the time.

The Harvard line was limited to occasional hurried thrusts by the smothering defense of Maroon left fullback Bill Peters and halfbacks Ed Allen and Don Spreen.

Meanwhile, Springfield center forward John Barbour shouldered the ball past goalie Dick Craven at 18:00 of the first period. Left wing Joe Marshall got the second for the visitors on a fine cross from right wing George Pendorf at 6:50 of the second stanza to give the Maroon a two point margin at the half.

Harvard came away from Coach Bruce Munro's half-time talk a different team. All-American right inside Charlie Weiss ignited the Crimson drive by out-rushing, out-tackling, and out-passing the visitors during the opening minutes of the third period.

Engstrom Boisters Defense

Depth in the halfback line was telling as wing halfbacks Bob Harding and newcomer Bill Engstrom repeatedly throttled Springfield's powerful offense from the outsides. By continuous alternating of Pants Pantalconi, Latsi Borger, Dick Miller, Ben Florin, and Harding and Engstrom, Coach Munro maintained a fresh midfield line which held down the Maroon with increasing success as the game wore on.

Crimson Comes Alive

Drehmel banged in his first at 11:40 of the third period. Although the Crimson tide was turning, the Maroon offense managed to slam nine shots at goalie Craven during the stanza, all of which he stopped. (Craven scored a season's high of 20 saves yesterday: eight in the first half and 12 in the last.)

As the team changed ends for the final period, battered Ben Florin moved from his left fullback position to center half. Harvard needed one to tie, two to win.

With Florin feeding both wings, the offense started to roll again. Within four minutes right wing Ben Goldstein took the ball up the sideline and pushed a perfect pass across the goal mouth for the second Drehmel score. Harvard 2, Springfield 2.

Two minutes later it happened again, and Harvard pulled back its wing halfbacks to protect the slender 3 to 2 margin until the final whistle.