Freshman, Jayvee Football Squads Drop Season's Final Games to Yale

'54 Loses, 15-6, on Eli Polish, Bad Breaks

The freshman football team overtook the Yale freshmen once yesterday, but bad breaks and a good Eli eleven proved too much for the Yardlings, and they finally lost, 15 to 6, in the mud and cold of Soldiers Field.

A safety within 39 seconds of the start of the third quarter, an 85-yard touchdown run that was called back, and Yale punts that refused to bounce "right," all combined to send the freshmen to their fifth straight defeat.

After an early Yardling drive had ended with a fumble on the Yale 33, the Elis, with Doug Treat gaining consistently through the middle on a fake pass play, went to the Yardling 35, before the Crimson finally held. Then Treat punted a ball that hit the goal line, but had enough reverse spin to stop dead on the four.

The Yardlings immediately punted, and Yale started another push. This one ended when John Tulenko intercepted a pass on his goal life. But on the very first play, the middle of the Crimson line folded, and Tex Hooten was nailed in the end zone for a safety.

At 5:52 of the third period, Captain Dick Clasby, added by Ted Kennedy's key block, broke loose for a 55-yard touchdown run. Clasby's hard running and good passing made him easily the best back on the field.

Yale mixed short passes and runs to drive 87 yards for its second touchdown, scored by Frank Smith on a pass from substitute fullback Berry Seymour.

Tulenko took the ensuing kickoff on his 15 and went all the way for a score, only to have the play called back because of a holding penalty.