Bertrand Russell Speaks Today on Mind and Matter

Bertrand Russell, one of the world's most famous living philosophers, will speak at New Lecture Hall at 4:30 p.m. today.

His talk will be on "Mind and Matter," and it is expected that he will give a summary of the work he has done in recent years on this problem.

Russell, who is an Earl in his native England, is known as one of the chief formulators and disseminators of mathematical logic. He was co-author with Alfred North Whitehead of "Principia Mathematica," and modern logical positivism is largely based upon his work.

Russell has visited Harvard several times before, the last in 1940 when he served for one term as William James lecturer.

Russell left U.C.L.A. to take a position at the City College of New York, but his appointment was rescinded before he got there because of his outspoken advocacy of liberalized marriage.

Jalled for Pacifism

Russell is also an ardent social philosopher. He has never advocated radical reform, however, because he was afraid such reform might be accompanied by totalitarianism. The philosopher was deprived of his fellowship at Trinity College, Cambridge, during the first world war, and put in jail because of his pacifist views and statements.

Russell spoke at Wellesley last night on the "Limits of Empiricism," and gave a series of lectures last week at Mount Holyoke.