Political Groups Begin Final Election Drives With Canvasses, Debates, Fund Appeals

With the elections only four days away, the University's political groups have started their final drives for money and for votes.

At 10:30 p.m. tonight on WMEX, the Young Republican Club and the Law School Democratic Club will stage their last joint debate of the campaign, the third in a series. Benjamin Kaplan, professor of Law, will moderate the argument between the Republican and Democratic teams.

Earl M. Kulp '52 and Warren M. Doutch 2L will debate the affirmative of the topic, Resolved: That President Truman's policy in Asia is against the best interests of the United States. On the negative will be Democrats Allen Goldstoin 3L and William Gordon 3L.

McCarran Money

Although its work for the election of anti-McCarran Bill Congressmen has taken most of its time previously, the Liberal Union is planning to concentrate right at home these last days. A new pamphlet, containing a full history of gerrymandering in this state complete with maps, is now being published, spokesmen announced last night.

Since preparation of the booklet was begun on short notice, the entire publication will not be available until after election but the group will start distribution of a short precis of the pamphlet today. One of the biggest issues of the campaign is how the state shall be re-districted.

From now until election day, the H.Y.R.C. will continue its canvass in wards seven and eight in Cambridge. Here it is seeking votes for W. Donnison Swan '17, A. John Serino, and Frances W. Lindstrom, candidates for the lower house of the General Court and Copley Amery, Jr., '12, who is running for the state senate.

Over $6,000 had arrived at Liberal Union headquarters up to last night in response to the anti-McCarran Bill appeal, members reported. Donations have already been made to Senator Herbert H. Lehman in New York. Other funds are on their way to Representative John A. Carroll of Colorado, and Helen Gahagan Douglas of California.

The Liberal Union is attempting now to start an "Independent Vigilanto Committee" composed of teachers and students at the Law School. These people would write to Congress about the McCarran Bill and civil liberties legislation, the club said.

Both the H.L.U. and the H.Y.R.C. will have groups out on election day to round up voters. Both also hope for victory, though the Republicans admit that they are underdogs in the state race.

Neither group has, or intends to announce any victory celebrations.