Winthrop, Lowell Win in Shutouts

Winthrop scored a 7 to 0 victory over Dunster yesterday afternoon on the House football fields. Meanwhile Adams played its best game of the season but bowed to Lowell, 25 to 0.

Winthrop's line consistently opened holes in the Funster defense, but couldn't get close enough to score until the third quarter. Then Walt Greeley passed to George Lee out in the flat, and Frank Hernberg took the ball over. Jim Wycoff made the extra point.

The Puritans had two other scoring chances. Near the end of the first half, Hernberg tossed a long pass that was intercepted by Dunster's Tom Butler. In the last period after Winthrop's John St. Phalle ran the ball to midfield from deep in his own territory, Gene Bekun broke away and got as far as the five yard line, where he fumbled.

Defense Wears Down

In the other game of the afternoon, Lowell had worn down Adams' defense by the second quarter. After working slowly downfield, the Bellboys gave the ball to Bob Lown, who made the touchdown but failed to convert.

In the third period, Lowell threw the Gold Coasters for a 40 yards loss. Then Ed Thayer blocked an Adams' punt, picked the ball up and went over for the score. Early in the last quarter, Ted Briggs ran 30 yards for the third touchdown of the game.

In the few remaining minutes of play, Lown passed to Briggs to bring the ball up past midfield. Two long runs by Bruce White and Bill Brown brought Lowell to the five yard line. Going around end, Lown went over for the final score; Briggs kicked the extra point.