Two Newspapermen, Criminologist Will Discuss Crime at Law Forum

Bookmaking, betting syndicates, and the growth of gangsterism will be among the topics discussed tonight as the Law School Forum devotes its sixth program of the year to "Crime in the United States." The panel, which takes place at 8 p.m. in the Rindge Tech Auditorium, features a federal attorney, a member of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, two newspapermen, and a criminologist.

U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, Irving H. Saypol, recently concluded successful prosecution of two accused Communist agents. In 1945 he conducted investigations of black market practices in the textile industry, and in 1947 he secured a verdict of guilty in the prosecution of Serge Rubinstein for Selective Service fraud.

Louis B. Nichols, assistant director of the F.B.I. since 1935, has spoken frequently on the services performed by his organization. At a Yale Daily News forum last October Nichols denied charges in a CRIMSON article which alleged an F.B.I. investigation of Yale faculty members.

Ray Sprigle, 1948 Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, is best known for his national series, "I Was a Negro in the South for 30 Days."

In 48 years of reporting, Sprigle has covered state gravel scandals, the coercion of W.P.A. workers, 14 executions, black marketeering, and war correspondence.

As a member of the Newsweek editorial staff, Ralph do Toledana has specialized in the study of two types of criminals; spies and traitors. His book, "Seeds of Treason," dezcribed the Alger Hiss-Whittaker Chambers relationship.

The moderator, Sheldon Glucck, Roscoe Pound Professor of Law, has written books on the formation of criminals, dealing specifically with the problems of juvenile delinquency.