Sprigle States Police Fail To Enforce Laws

"Any mayor including the mayor of Boston--who believes in the asininity that local officials cannot end racketeering in his town in either a liar or a moron," claimed Ray Sprigle, Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter on the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, at last night's Law Forum.

Speaking at Rindge Tech auditorium with Louis B. Nichols, Assistant Director of the F.B.I., and Irving H. Saypol, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, on the topic, "Crime in the United States," Sprigle said, "Ten honest aggressive cops could wipe out the rackets in Boston. When you hear anyone asking for federal laws to end racketeering, remember that it exists only with the permission and cooperation of local law enforcing bodies."

Nichols, outlining the duties of the F.B.I., said he looked forward t the day when his organization did not need to concern itself with investigations to the present extent, but could serve instead as a kind of central information service for responsible local law enforcing groups.

Sticks to Constitution

Federal attorney Saypol limited his speech to a discussion of his duties in New York. He emphasized his department's care in "enforcing laws with rigid consideration of the provisions of the United States Constitution."

Sprigle attempted to destroy the public "misconception" of nation-wide racketeering syndicates which operate with boards of directors from lavish underground haunts. "Rackets--that is, gambling, prostitution, etc.--are by nature local," he stated, "for they depended on local politics for their existence."

Ralph de Toledana, a member of the Newsweek editorial staff, cancelled his appearance at the Forum shortly before the meeting began.