Undergraduate HTW Is Back, Will Tour Houses

Brattle Hall Will Help New Group; Reading Theatre Projected

By Edward J. Ottenheimer jr.

The Harvard Theatre Workshop, which went inactive last June, is again an undergraduate organization.

The University has reissued the HTW charter to a band of students, who will call themselves the Harvard Theatre Group, David Bowen '50, managing director, announced last night.

HTG actors, accompanied by jugglers, musicians, and orange girls, will tour the Houses like a 16th century troupe of strolling players. Housemasters have expressed enthusiastic approval of the plan, Bowen stated. The HTG will announced the choice of its first play next week.

Brattle Players Offer Aid

The Brattle Hall company, formed out of the original HTW, has given the new group its blessing and will help it along by renting costumes and lights, offering use of the Brattle Theatre for carpentering and rehearsing, and giving directorial assistance. Sometime in the future the new group may use the Brattle Hall stage.

On the other hand, the HTG will assume the debts of the undergraduate HTW and will give the Brattle Hall company a source of new talent.

Reading Theatre Planned

Besides playing in the Houses, the HTG will start a reading theatre, similar to the Dramatic Club's, which will present performances of rarely-seen plays. It also plans to import theatrical celebrities to talk on drama and to give the money earned thereby to the Theodore Spencer Memorial Fund.

The revived organization has 20 charter members. Students who work on productions will be elected to the group, and no dues will be required. Associate, unofficial members from Radcliffe and Emerson will also be elected.

Other officers beside Bowen are Palmer Dixon '50, publicity director; Paul W. Etter '51, business manager; Harold Stone, Jr. '53, production manager; and Alex D. Suczek '50, secretary.