Radcliffe News Rejects Plan For Merger with Signature

Radcliffe's weekly newspaper, the News, yesterday rejected a Student Government Executive Board proposal to merge with the Annex literary magazine, Signature. The recommendation came as a result of a Signature report on its unstable financial condition.

Signature had not requested a merger nor would it consider one, president Helen McCaig '51 said last night. She termed the suggestion "unworkable, since one is an independent magazine and the other a compulsory newspaper backed by the Student Government Association."

The Executive Board proposal had not explained the particulars for a working combination of the two publications, nor did it state whether it considered continuing each separately or having the News publish stories and poetry by the Signature staff on its pages.

No Full Meeting

The Annex paper also turned down the idea as technically impossible through the differences in nature and purpose of Signature and the News. Student Council as a body had not been presented with the issue, which went directly from the executive board to the News editors.

Signature, although $700 in debt at the beginning of the school year, has decreased its deficits since its fall term issue. The magazine will put out its next issue March 15.

"We should like to dispell any rumor circulating that Signature is going to fold." Miss McCaig asserted, "A merger is completely out of the question."