Boxing Title Goes To Adams House; Isenberg Repeats

Adams won the inter-House boxing championship at the Blockhouse last nigh, but for most of the 800 spectators, the big match was Puritan Phil Isenberg's technical knock out of Marcel Rocca.

Isenberg, fighting in the 175-pound class, took just I minute, 22 seconds of the first round to subdue Rocca, boxing for Kirkland.

Mixing jolting lefts with short, vicious rights, Isenberg was in command at all times, flooring Rocca twice, once for the count of five, before the officials halted the bout.

Butier Triumphs

The best fight of the evening, however, was a 155-pound bout between Sam Paschal of Leverett and Tom Butler of Dunster. Butler won, starting slowly, but finishing with a last-round that had the crowd roaring.

In another good fight, Arnie Horween, Jr. beat Eli Manos for the Yard Unlimited class title. Through Manos led for most of the bout, Horween finally won, again because of a fine last round. IN the toe-to-toe slugging that highlighted the final two minutes, Horween bloodied Manos' mouth.

Russ Bath of Adams pulled another last-round spurt to decision Charlie Weiss of Kirkland in the 130-pound championship. After trailing for the first two rounds, Bath caught Weiss with a sharp right cross, dropping him for the count of seven.

Though six inches shorter than his opponent, Ron Noonan had no trouble decisioning Dan Freeman for the 155-pound freshman title.

Hugh Smith of Winthrop won the House 165-pound crown from Art Nilsson of Kirkland. Smith rolled on his quickness to take this bout, in which neither man threw many heavy punches.

Coming immediately after Isenberg's TKO, Shelly Shelton's decision over Paul Crowley seemed anti-climatic. Puzzled in the early rounds by Crowley's aggressive style, Shelton took control in the third round to take the yard 175-pound title.

Gold Coaster Jerry Smith helped Adams win the championship by easily beating Werner Furth of Eliot in their 135-pound bout.

Both the House and freshman 145-pound fights featured sharp, hard punching. Mat Peppard of Leverett defeated Dick Conway of Adams, while shifty Dick Ocheltree downed Dick Chamberlain for the freshman 145-pound championship.

The House scoring Summary:

Adams  13 pointsDunster  10 pointsWinthrop  10 pointsKirkland  9 pointsLeverette  8 pointsDudley  5 pointsEliot  3 point