Freshmen Get House Blanks In Dining Hall

House applications go to the class of 1953 today, along with the news that 65 to 70 percent of the applicants the highest percentage since the war will gain residence next year.

Blanks will be distributed at the Union and will be due in Weld Hall by April 14.

The Houses will undergo no further deconversion, continuing their current level of one extra man for every two normally held. The decline in College enrollment will enable them to take a larger percentage of the Freshman Class than they could in previous years.

Men who fail to get in this Spring, will become non-residents and receive priority in applications next year.

Dean's Booklet

To help the freshmen pick their Houses, the Dean's Office has prepared a booklet on "Facts to Consider in Choosing a House." The Houses also will have personal interviews, beginning Wednesday and going through April 11. Representatives of each House will speak at the Union next Wednesday and Friday nights.

Main factors to consider in selecting a House, according to the Dean's booklet, are number of friends in or applying to the House, the House staff, and type and price of room you desire.

Attacking the notion of "The Best House," the booklet says that this is merely a Yard rumor. "Each of the Houses tries . . . to contain within itself all the types that can be found in the undergraduate body," it says.

The pamphlet recommends that applicants check to see that the type of room they desire is available in the House they want. "An observant freshman . . . may figure out which way the tide is setting, and by swimming against the tide, almost ensure resident assignment in the House to which he applies," the booklet suggests.