Uju, Once Freshman, Acts Houseboy on Wilbur Stage

E. Magnus Uju '53 came all the way from Nigeria to Harvard to study drama, left before a term was out and is now appearing as Ali, a houseboy, in the Rodgers and Hammerstein production, "Heart of the Matter," at the Wilbur Theatre.

Uju left College a week before finals last term, when he was told of an opening in the play. He had been disillusioned by Harvard's lack of a Drama Department.

When the play moves to New York for a Broadway run in two weeks or so, he is going to take up the study of drama at Hunter College. He would also like to take courses at Yale's theatre school.

An Orluvian from Owerr!

Uju, whose home address is Nkwerre, Orlu district, Owerri province, Nigerie, West Africa, plans to return to his native country and produce, direct, write, and act in plays. He is distressed that Nigeria gets an ample dose of British movies, most of them depicting his country in an unfavorable light, but no plays.

He got his part in "Heart of the Matter" by reading parts to Basil Dean, co-author. Dean was sufficiently impressed by Uju, especially his voice, to sign him immediately, and Boston critics have since praised his acting.

Harvard Seemed to Help

Uju studied law at the University of Manchester in England for three years before coming to this country. He does not consider his time at Harvard wasted, in spite of the absence of a drama department.

"Harvard gave me my opportunity, and I made many first-rate friends there, he says. He is going to continue his acting, "as long as it does not interfere with my studies and as long as I have offers."