Eliot Presents Large Suites, Grill, Parties

Freshmen, who choose Eliot House as their next home, can carve out for themselves three stimulating and enjoyable years at College.

Probably the most distinctive of all the Houses, Eliot offers to its residents as much, if not more, than any of the other Houses--an excellent staff, large modern rooms, active athletic teams, interesting activities, and a pleasant atmosphere in which to live.

Students going into the House, if they show any sort of initiative, will form warm friendships with fellow students and faculty members.

The story that Eliot is a clubmen's House is today disproved by the facts which show about the same percentage of that type in the House as in the resident College as a whole.

Outstanding Parties

"When better parties are given, Eliot is the place where they will be held" is the best description of what goes on Saturdays during the football season. At the same time, it should be mentioned that the House library is one of the finest, with the special emphasis in it placed on the humanities.

Eliot has a proud record as far as scholarship goes, Housemaster John H. Finley '25 reports. Last June graduating members of the House carried off almost all of the outstanding commencement prizes, such as the Lionel de Jersey Harvard Scholarship in England.

Eliot has its weak points, one of the chief one being that some of its rooms face out over the noisey alleyway behind the central kitchen and others look in the direction of the subway yards. On the other hand, Eliot does have a very attractive courtyard, and the large majority of the rooms are not troubled by the previous problems.

Another criticism of Eliot is that the House is too quiet and apathetic. Net as many activities occur there as do in some of the other Houses, yet to many freshmen this may be a blessing in disguise. The quiet allows people to go their own way.

Yet regular activities do take place in the House; there are several science clubs, and an economic seminar has just been formed. An outstanding event of the past year was an Eliot House symposium on poetry with Archibald MacLeish and I. A. Richards (both members of the staff) that brought crowds fro all over the University.

There is the traditional performance of an Elizabethan play at Christmas time, a custom adopted by other Houses from Eliot. Last week the annual formal House dinner was held celebrating President Eliot's birthday.

Varied Activities

Eliot boasts a good darkroom that will appeal to freshmen interested in photography. Like most of the Houses, Eliot has an adequate record library in addition to its two music rooms.

In athletics Eliot last fall had an undefeated football team which won the House championship and beat the Yale champion in New Haven. The House also fields outstanding hockey teams and crews.

The common room facilities are very limited in Eliot and most of the social life centers around individual groups on their own rooms.

One pleasant feature of Eliot House is the grill in its basement which provides food for men late at night who avoid having to go up to the Square. Students can charge food bought in the grill to their term bill.