Forum Discusses Government Jobs

A "thick skin," genuine interest in public service, and readiness to work for relatively low salaries were named as valuable assets for government workers by all three speakers at last night's Career Conference in Leverett House.

Representative of local, state, and federal government spoke on aspects of their particular fields.

Thomas H. Buckley, chairman of the state Commission on Administration and Finance, recommended active participation in local party politics as the best preparation for government at the state level.

Speaking on aspects of federal government, John C. Dreier '28, head of the State Department Division of Inter-American Affairs, stressed the "large scale" importance of national government as an inducement to enter that field. He expressed an opinion that government work, by imposing different standards, tends to make men poorly fitted for work in private business.

Personal satisfaction, according to Lyman S. Moore, City Manager of Portland, Maine, is one of the big rewards of municipal civic workers. In a question period following the talks, Moore pointed out that "One man's red tape is another man's system."

Conducting the forum was John M. Gaus, professor of Government. He substituted for Charles R. Cherington '35, who was sick and unable to attend.