THE PLAYGOER

At Agassiz Hall

The Classical Players, putting amazing enthusiasm into the work of their "poor dead author" Plautus, have come up with another sparkling evening of Roman comedy. Imaginative acting, skilful direction, and just enough pantomime to help foreigners understand what is happening have brought to life a plot involving a pimp, his ward, her lover, and an ingenious slave who wants to unite the lovers and demonstrate his own shrewdness.

Albert Borowitz, as the scheming slave Pseudolus, is the perfect clown. He is stealthy one moment, moronic the next; when he comes out in the last scene balancing a bottle of Schlitz on his head and drinking from a hot-water bag, even the most non-Roman audience cannot help laughing. John Rexine, the pimp, brandishes his curses and his whip as if he had done nothing else all his life, and Paul Broneer and Joe Dallett, as the dupe and his swaggering impersonator, are well-cast. The love scene between Arthur Millward and Brooks Emmons is a spicy reminder that the Romans weren't always dead.

If the dialogue sometimes gets too fast for an outsider, it is more than justified by the spontaneity of the whole performance. Scholar or not, you won't want to miss one of the best comedies to come out of Rome in years.