Track Team Faces Powerful Field at Heptagonals Today

The winter track season winds up today when a score of Crimson runners, jumpers and weight-tossers come up against an aggregation of athletes who are threatening world, sectional, and meet titles.

Today's meet is called the Third Annual Heptagonal Indoor Track and Field Championships and there are ten teams competing; Harvard, Army, Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Navy, Pennsylvania, Princeton, and Yale.

Finals in the 35-pound weight and bread jump events as well as trials in the shot put will be held in Briggs Cage at 4 p.m. The rest of the meet goes on at Boston Garden at 8:15 p.m.

Borjeson, Fuchs Compete

In the afternoon, 35-pound weight men Dick and Eric Stromstead will have in compete with National AAU and IC4A champion Gil Borjeson of Brown, who is getting closer to the 60-foot "dream" shot. At the same time, Yale's would shot put champion, Jim Fuchs, will be going after a new mark.

The Crimson's captain Geoff Tootell and Don Trimble should score in the latter event. Trimble was the only Harvard point-getter in the IC4A meet.

Dave Carter and Bill Geick will compete in the broad jump, facing defending champions Win Scott and Bill Rapp of Army. Geick and Dick Barwise are in the high jump, and Dave Best will carry Crimson hopes against a mediocre field in the pole vault.

At the Garden, Carter and Geick will also run the 50-yard dash, and Harvey Thayer and Ronnie Berman should do well in the 600 against favored Charley Moore of Cornell, holder of four major championships. Charley Durakis and Pat McCormick are entered in the hurdles.