NSA Plans Orientation Program For 600 Europe-Bound Students

To help the 600 students going abroad on the S. S. Volendam make the most of their summer, the National Students Association has set up an elaborate orientation program for the ten day trip.

Francis D. Fisher '49 1L, and Jas Vos, a law student at Leiden, will represent NSA and NBBS ((the Dutch national student union) in planning this program.

One of the important subjects to be taught on shipboard is travel mechanics--the rates of money and cigarette exchange, etc. Basic refresher and elementary courses stressing conversation will be held. There will be a library on board with a librarian supplied by UNESCO. Discussions and lectures on Europe and recreation are also planned.

The purpose of the ten days of orientation is to prepare the students for what is to come in Europe and help them interpret what they see. In Holland, the students were warned last summer, people do not dance cheek to check. Some students were unduly surprised to find that some Europeans hated the Marshall Plan. In Italy, students were dismayed to find that because of the American reputation for cleanliness, the water was always shut off where they went.