Quintet Bows to Columbia, 71-60; Rockwell Breaks Scoring Record

23 Points Send Senior over Mark of 394 Set by George Hauptfuhrer in 1946-47

By scoring 23 points in last night's basketball game with Columbia at Morningside Gym, John Rockwell added one more record to his playing career the Harvard all-time season scoring mark. His 23-game total of 411 points eclipses the 394 record set by George Hauptfuhrer in 25 games during the 1946-47 season.

Earlier this season the six foot four senior broke the single game scoring mark of 29 points made by John Pallo against Tufts in 1921. Rock scored 30 against Holy Cross, then topped his own record by scoring 33 points in the Penn game.

He began his record-setting pace as a senior at the Wabash, Indiana high school. As Captain of the Central Indiana Conference team, he set the still unbroken CIC season scoring mark of 251 points (12 games) and the individual game record of 32 points.

Rock entered Harvard in 1946 and captained the Yardling five to a 16-2 season. Averaging 21 points a game as a freshman, he set his own record of 39 points during one contest. He played first string forward his sophomore year and last season was the high scorer of Coach Bill Barclay's losing quintet.

Makes Up for Slowness

Rock is much slower afoot than most collegiate players, but offsets this lack of speed with an uncanny faking ability. Although he has an effective set shot, most of his scoring occurs when he travels parallel to the backboard, takes a quick fake, and then spins in a layup with either or both hands.

This year Coach Norm Shepard has teamed Rockwell with Ed Smith, and when the latter is hitting from the outside the combination is difficult to check. But as Shepard said yesterday, "even when Smith is connecting, practically all of our opponents have pointed to stop Rockwell. He has really done a magnificent job against these odds."