'53 Lacrosse Team Defeats Lawrence, 7-1; Grant Is Star

The freshman lacrosse team opened the season with a win yesterday, beating Lawrence Academy, 7 to 0.

Bitsy Grant, whose father coaches the Academy team, led the '53 squad in scoring with two goals and four assists. Grant played for Lawrence last year.

The game was decided in the first six minutes of play, when the Yardlings countered four times. At only 42 seconds, Gus Palacios whipped in a passout from Grant. Less than a minute later, at 1:32, lanky Norm Hatch tallied on an identical play.

Grant scored the next goal at 4:25, after weaving his way through the entire Lawrence defense. Hatch registered the fourth Crimson point at 5:16, taking a pass from Grant and shooting while falling to the ground.

Grant Again

The only score of the second period was another goal by Grant, assisted by Palacios, at 23 seconds flat. Midway through the period defenseman Art Broder picked up a loose ball at midfield and raced the length of the field, but missed his shot. Broder and Ted Sexton played fine defensive games throughout.

Walt Niemyski and Bob Rosonman shared the goal tending assignment. Lawrence's only score came on a hard 20-foot drive by Bill Stein at 46 seconds of the third period. Niemyski had no chance to stop the play.

Because Ron Huebsch was sidelined by an attack of mumps, Whitney had to alter his starting midfield, dropping Pete Franklin back from his forward post in place of Huebsch. Franklin scored a goal on a pass from Grant early in the third period.

Final by Stewart

Big Don Stewart knocked in the last goal of the day for the '53 team on a pass from Palacios at 3:42 of the last period.

Whitney was pleased by the team's showing. The defense was strong, and the attack, though missing many chances, was more than adequate. Franklin, Chuck Pyle, and Hank Wood played well on the first midfield, and Dick Cushner.

The Harvard summary:

Goals--First period: Palacios (Grant), 0:42; Hatch (Grant), 1:82; Grant (unassisted), 4:25; Hatch (Grant), 5:16. Second period: Grant (Palacios), 0:23. Third period: Franklin (Grant), 1:39. Fourth period: Stewart (Palacios), 3:42.