Beanies

THE MAIL

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

A great deal has already been said about the parasitic relationship of Radcliffe College to Harvard University. It is apparently too much to expect that this school which has benefited so much by their relation with us would contribute something creditable to its host. The red beanie now being sold to and worn by Radcliffe students is an example of this.

If we must accept these people, and it is becoming increasingly apparent that we must, then we might at least expect them to conform to standards of dress and appearance which have thus far set us aside from the type of college student current in the ads of the Coca-Cola Company. To the casual observer, the Yard must appear only slightly different from the campus of the midwestern coeducational university where faddists with their beanies, blue jeans, and dangling shirt tails rule.

The wearing of the beanie points up an essential defect in the Harvard-Radcliffe relationship. They must conform to Harvard standards in matters intellectual, but they are completely beyond our control in other matters. The day is not far off when we shall be beset by the other corrolaries of coeducation. Pinning, "drug store society," and mooney couples in strange dress will be but a few.

This cancer has finally revealed its malignant nature. Let us resort to surgery before it is too late. John G. Morey '52   F. R. Buttell '52