Council Rejects Dissolution Petition, But Will Poll College on Revision

Abolitionists Promise To Abide by Verdict Expressed in Ballot

By Rudolph Kass

Maneuvers between the Student Council and its opponents continued at an especially fast pace last night. Each side in the controversy has made two moves.

First, the Council flatly rejected a petition for its dissolution that was submitted to it by the Interim Committee for Council Abolition on the grounds that it had no legal basis.

Petitioning must be conducted with Dean's Office permission, Edward F. Burke '50, Council president, said. A legitimate petition, he added, must move to strike out the preamble and all 10 articles of the Council constitution with the effect that the Council would be abolished.

Burke Takes to Air Waves

Merrill O. Young '51, spokesman of the petitioners, objected to what he called the Council's "delaying tactics." but Burke replied that the Council had an obligation to "abide with the rules of Harvard College."

Then the Council recessed to let Burke take to the air over WHRB to state the Council's case before the student body. At 10:30 p.m., in an impassioned half-hour speech Burke railed against the "irresponsible machinations" against the Council.

He denied that the Council had ever dictated to the student body as the abolitionists have charged and pointed out that the Council was, in fact, representative. Burke then catalogued the Council's activities for the radio audience.

"Our record of accomplishment is something of which the College can be proud," Burke said. "The press takes great pleasure in printing sensational aspects of Council activities and devotes less space to others." He then outlined what Student Council have been doing since the institution was established in 1909.

Abolitionists Gratified

After Burke's broadcast, the Council reconvened and drew up a poll to scent out the students' view on the proper functions of the Council, in regard to service or advisory functions and the proportions of elected or appointed members.

Commenting on the poll, the abolitionist group said it "congratulated" the Council "on at last agreeing to consult undergraduate opinion." The committee expressed gratification about "any part our efforts may have played in producing the poll." Its abolition request would be withdrawn, the committee said, if the poll's recommendations are followed.

During its weekly meeting the Council also allocated funds for the support of the D.P. students next year.