AVC Will Try 2nd Appeal to Keep Housing

The American Veterans Committee opened the second phase of a campaign to save the Harvard Way housing project at a meeting in Philips Brooks House last night.

About 50 dwellers in University housing units met in the PBH parlor and planned an appeal to President Conant for postponement of plans to destroy the low-cost housing project over the summer.

Two weeks ago, vice-President Reynolds announced that the University's original decision to destroy the temporary project would stand, despite an AVC report stating that there is still a "desperate need" for cheap housing.

Appoint Committee

A group of 12 men and women remained after the adjournment of the PBH meeting and delegated a "Committee to Save Veterans' Housing." This group, which will number eight or ten, seeks an early appointment with President Conant.

The general feeling at the meeting was that the University was not recognizing the need for low-cost housing. Many objected that there has been no official explanation of why the Harvard Way project must be torn down.

If the committee gets an interview with the President, it will try to impress upon him the "disastrous impact" it feels the University's action will have on married students.