Students Want Elective Council, Poll Indicates

Should Serve in Half Advisory Capacity

Results of Tuesday's Student Council poll, released last night, showed definite student preference for a predominantly elective body devoting at least half its efforts to advisory functions.

Of 1868 ballots accepted, one third contained write-in comments. Thirty percent of classifiable comments asked for abolition of the Council, and another 22 percent "stated disapproval of (its) present policy, personnel, or practices."

Other suggestions about future policy, personal or practices appeared in 290 of 610 classifiable comments.

Abolitionists Gratified

Abolitionist spokesman Merrill O. Young '51 last night claimed that "the large number of write-in votes for abolition despite the Council's deliberate avoidance of the distasteful question," requires the Council "to include abolition as an alternative in the forthcoming revision' referendum."

Student Council Treasure Roy M. Goodman '51 author of the poll reported last night that the Social Relations Department had approved the poll's wording "for purposes" which did not include dealing with the question of abolition.

Breakdown of the answer to the two main questions shows: A. Function of the Council: Strictly a service group  243 More service than advisory  186 Both about equally  670 More advisory than service  220 Strictly an advisory group  321 B. Membership of the Council: Entirely elected  760 More elected than appointed  349 Both about equally  223 More appointed than elected  85 Entirely appointed  186