Biology

Although the general trend of concentration choice seems to be away from science, this does not hold true in the case of Biology. Largely because of the advantages which it holds for Pre-Med students, the Biology department is in a crowded condition now, taking care of some 191 concentrators who are "taxing facilities to the utmost."

Equipped with new buildings and excellent laboratory facilities, the Bio Department is one of the more modern in the University. Its professors on the whole are superior lecturers, and practically all are recognized authorities in their respective fields. With men like Wetmore, Weston, Sax, Hisaw, Romer, and Castle carrying the main teaching burdens, they present an accurate and animated picture of Biology today.

The Department is especially fortunate to have some very promising associate and assistant professors. At present the section men in the Bio Department are only adequate. Most of them are graduate students and not well-acquainted with all areas of Biology; crowded conditions have forced many of them to teach in areas where they are not well prepared.

Chain of Prerequisites

The Biology Department offers a reasonably wide range of courses with many falling into a more or less required sphere depending upon the area of Biology which the concentrator enters. It is not necessary to choose a special field, however, until the fourth term. Since Biology like most other sciences has t be taught empirically, the courses in the department are shot through with "necessary prerequisites," and it is of the utmost importance that a Bio major get started on the right courses.

To avoid mixups which appear suddenly in the concentrator's senior year, every Biology major is given a departmental adviser with whom he is expected to consult at frequent intervals.

The two main drawbacks to majoring in Biology are the same as those facing a Chem or Bio-Chem major. A prospective Biology major must resign himself to spending three and possibly four afternoons a week in the laboratories. The situation can become much worse if the concentrator has failed to space his lab courses properly, but an early start and consultation with the departmental adviser can avoid this.

Concentrator's Schedule Crowded

The second trouble lies in the number of courses a Biology major must take. Seven and a half courses for the honors candidate and six courses for his less ambitious counterpart leave little time for dabbling in other fields.

Except for the rigors imposed by compulsory labs, Biology is not ordinarily considered the hardest of majors as it requires no general examinations or extra time for tutorial. At present, the department offers no individual tutorial, feeling that lab sections and work with advisers will suffice.

Most Bio majors point toward honors, the requirements of which are usually research and experimentation by the student and writing a thesis on the basis of this work. This is carried on over a period of one or two terms in a course called Bio 40 (Introduction to Research) where the student works on his own under the supervision of a member of the faculty.

Every Biologist will tell you that there is lots to be done in Biology and in addition that it's the best major for a Pre-Med. Both are true, and the Harvard Biology Department is equipped to give you an interesting time of it.