History

A wide range and freedom of choice both within the immediate field and within related fields marks concentration in History. Changes which have been made in the Department's program within the last year have sought to make it possible for each individual to choose a flexible program peculiarly suited to his own needs.

First of all, History 1, which used to be required of all concentrators, has been abolished. Secondly, the requirement of a related course has been extended to include a wide range of courses including Social Relations, Literature, Philosophy, and General Education instead of being restricted to only Government and Economics courses as it was for many years.

Lastly, the possibility of intensive work on more special fields within the general field of History is now possible.

These changes do not mean that concentration in History is by any means easier than it was before. A good memory and capacity to absorb a lot of material and spew it forth onto a blue book is still the most valuable asset to a History concentrator.

Lost and Gone Forever

While History 1 with its weekly detailed map work is gone forever, it is "highly recommended" by the Department that the concentrator take Social Science 1, which focuses more on trends than historical detail, which requires essays, and which is no cinch.

As to basic requirements, all concentrators must take at least five full History courses and one related course, although most honors candidates take seven or eight History courses plus related courses. Honors candidates are required to take Departmental Tests at the end of their Junior year which include three questions from the four major chronological and geographical areas (Ancient and Medieval Europe, Modern Europe, The Americas and Asia) and a two hour essay. A special field exam follows at the end of the senior year.

Non-honors candidates take only the special field exam but are required to take at least one half-course in three of the four areas mentioned above.

Tutorial for (Almost) All

The History Department is a firm believer in tutorial. Sophomores in Group IV or higher get introductory group tutorial which consists of examinations of great historical writing. Junior tutorial is largely interpretation of history and senior tutorial an examination of the student's special field with reference to the student's thesis.

Honors candidates are normally granted three half-courses credit for tutorial work.

Changes in curriculum for next year center around the field of Modern Europe. After nine years absence from the College, William L. Langer is returning and will teach his old course, the History of continental Europe between Vienna and the first World War.

Vertical Survey of Europe

In addition to this, the old History 144 has been broken into two courses, one on the 17th and 18th Centuries to be taught by Gilmore and Brinton and one on Europe between the two World Wars to be taught by McKay.

These three courses together with Gilmore's courses on the Age of the Renaissance and Reformation will form for the first time a vertical series of survey courses giving a complete coverage of modern Europe.

Generally speaking, the Department offers a wide range of courses most of which are very worth while, and a roster of many of the best lecturers in the College.