Yale Track Team Gives First Defeat to Crimson Runners

By Edward J. Coughlin

Sweeping three events and taking first and second in three others, the strong Yale track team handed the Crimson its first spring defeat on Saturday by an 84 1-2 to 55 1-2 score.

Three records toppled in the dry heat of Soldiers Field. World champion Jim Fuchs shattered the dual meet mark by four-and-a-half foot with a toss of 56 feet, 6 1-8 inches. In the final event of the day, the 3:19.3 time of the Yale relay team--Warren Norris, Hank Stoltmann, Rolland Sultze, and Fred Swope--broke both the meet and the Yale record.

The Elis took all three places in the hammer and discus. They also swept the 880 when George Wade, Stoltmann, and Dick MacDougal set a blistering first quarter pace that took the edge off Ronnie Berman's late challenge.

On the Harvard side, Dave Carter bettered his own mark with 23 feet, 7 8-8 inches in the broad jump. Bill Geick was a strong second. Charlie Keith throw the javelin 195 feet, 3-4 inches with Fred Ravreby and Don Trimble second and third, both scoring over 185.

Harvey Thayer's fine boxing strategy in the 440 enabled Ed Grutzner to win, with Thayer second. Carter also took a photo-finish 100 and second in the 220, with Thayer third in the latter event.

Dick Barwise took the place position in the high jump at 6 feet 2 inches, and Dave Cairns run a strong second to Yale's Frank Efluger in the mile. Charlie Durakis won both hurdles events.

Wade was withdrawn from the mile in order to try for a Yale record in the two-mile. Unfamiliar with the longer distance, he weakened visibly after the first four laps and lost to his teammate, Ed Meams.