Crime's Academic Freedom Series Is Dana Reed Winner

Three CRIMSON editors, John G. Simon '50, David E. Lilienthal, Jr. '49, and Burton S. Glinn '46, have been awarded the annual Dana Reed prize for the best piece of writing to appear in a Harvard undergraduate publication during the past year.

The prize entry, published last May, was a three-part, 20,000 word report on academic freedom in the United States. It covered cases of professors and instructors who had been fired, suspended or otherwise attacked for their political beliefs; legislative attempts to control education in various states, and abrogation's of student rights.

The $100 prize was established by the board of the 1943 Class Album as a memorial to Dana Reed '43, who was killed while piloting a B-24 over Austria during the war. Reed was a member of that board while an undergraduate.

The judges were John Mason Brown '23, critic and author, Richard E. Lauterbach, journalist and former Nieman Fellow, and John Brooks, author.

Simon, former president of the CRIMSON, will be graduated in June. Lilienthal is a reporter on the St. Louis "Post-Dispatch," and Glinn is now a photographer for "Life" magazine.