Bakers to Give University Wage, Pension Demands

Newly Affiliated With H.U.E.R.A.

Two members of the Bakers division of the University Employees Representative Association and Daniel G. Mulvihill, president of the Association, will meet today to formulate the first demands which the bakers will present to the University as members of H.U.E.R.A.

The union is expected to ask the University for a wage increase of about 25 cents an hour, a voice in its pension plan, equal wages for student employers, and either increased pay on holidays or vacations on these days. These requests are only tentative as yet, but Mulvihill expects that the University will be given the final proposals by tomorrow morning.

No Word From University

He would not say, however, whether he anticipated that the University would accept the proposals, which will be sent to vice-President Reynolds and Manager of Dining Halls William A. Heaman. Nor would Mulvihill reveal whether the demands would parallel those which other branches of the Employees Association have already made.

These are the first contract negotiations the bakers have made with the University as members of H.U.E.R.A. Until May 5 they were with A.F. of L. Local 186 of the Cooks and Pastry Cooks Association.

On that date they voted to join H.U.E.R.A. mainly so they could begin new negotiations with the University. As members of the A.F. of L. they were often out-voted by waitresses and cooks.

Bakers Only

In contrast, the H.U.E.R.A. bakers division contains only bakers and their helpers.

The University's now pension plan was discussed by H.U.E.R.A. and University representatives at a meeting on May 17. Members of H.U.E.R.A. have indicated that they are dissatisfied with the scheme because, although the workers contribute to it, they claim they have little say on how the plan is administered.

The bakers' demands are part of a series that H.U.E.R.A. is presenting to the University in behalf of its members.