Yacht Club Has Boat in Newport-Bermuda Race

For the first time in its history, the Yacht Club is placing an entry in the biennial ocean yacht race from Newport, Rhodo Island, to Bermuda. The sailors, who normally confine their activities to dinghies, have chartered the 52-foot, gaff-headed Alden schooner "Troubador" (above) for the race.

Dick Braisted, consistent dinghy winner, will skipper the "Troubador," while Tom Pearson will navigate. The crew roster includes John Bishop, Phil Buckner, Humphery Doermann, John Gardner, Dave Lee, Phil Scullin, and Hal Willcox.

A record 65 sailing vessels are entered in the 635 mile run from the Brenton Reef Light-vessel to St. David's Head, according to the Cruising Club of America and the Royal Bermuda Club, co-sponsors of the race.

Prominent on the entry list are six entries from Great Britain, two from Argentina, as well as Henry C. Taylor's 71-foot, two time winning yawl, "Baruna," which took first in 1938 and 1948, and Howard Fuller's 57-foot sloop "Gesture," winner in 1946.

Also competing will be five vessels from the United States Naval Academy yacht squadron and the 68-foot yawl "Tabor Boy," training ship for Tabor Academy in Marion.

The "Troubador" will leave Newport with the fleet Thursday, June 18, and is expected back July 2; average time for the distance is six days. Built in 1926 and owned by Henry Baay, Inc. of Marblehead, the "Troubador" with her gaff schooner rig, will hold her own better off the wind either running or reaching than she will tacking.

Hence, Skipper Braisted hopes that the 1948 race conditions will again prevail; at that time all but 65 miles of the run was a reach. The "Troubador" recently raced in the Miami-Nassau race, doing well, while her sister ship, the "Astrea" won the class B title in the March St. Petersburg-Havana race.