Tarheels Take All But Third Doubles in 8-1 Tennis Romp

By Humphrey Doermann

North Carolina's tennis team showed its championship form here yesterday as it handed out an 8 to 1 victory over a hard-fighting but outclassed Crimson squad, late in the afternoon, however, the third doubles team of Bill Goodman and Craig thumbs prevented a shutout by pulling out a three-set 4-6, 7-5, 6-3 win over their Tarheel opponents. This represents the only undefaulted win over North Carolina is three encounters this year.

Standout of the afternoon, and every bit as good as his reputation, was Clark Taylor of the Tarheels. Although varsity number one man Broward Craig played good, steady tennis, he was never given a chance. Taylor was all over the court, volleying and smashing out a 6-0, 6-2 victory.

Coach Barnaby's squad has come a long way since its two spring trip whitewashings by North Carolina. Yesterday each rally was longer, each game was more botly contested, and no Tarheel player felt that he could coast to a victory.

Doubles Encouraging

Also encouraging is the doubles picture. Although not quite consistent enough to take their match, the second doubles combination of Mitch Reese and Bob Bramhall pushed their opponents to three sets before succumbing. And Goodman and Combs showed that there is at least one third team that can come through in the pinch.

Aaron Cohodes and freshman Charley Ufford also came through with unofficial straight set wins at eight and nine respectively.

Captain Hilliard Hughes put up the best Crimson showing in the first six singles, winning the first set, 6-2, from Tarheel number two man Charley Rice. Rice's effortless style began telling, however, as Hughes dropped the next two, 6-4, 6-2.

Big Bramhall kept it a close fight all the way in his match at number three with Heath Alexander. Both played hard-driving, aggressive tennis, but Alexander's greater experience and accuracy finally proved the deciding margin in his 6-3, 6-3 win.