Dean David Will Not Reveal Fate Of $5 Million Gift

Saturday's conference of Business School alumni offered dozens of answers to questions about the future of American business, but none to the question everyone was really wondering about will the Business School succeed in raising $5,000,000 by July 1 to match a gift of the same amount last year by John D. Rockefeller?

The Business School loses the Rockefeller gift if it falls to raise the $5,000,000.

Figures through March 31 showed the Business School way short of meeting the $5,000,000 figure, but Business School officials have not seemed particularly worried about the situation. It is believed that they have substantial unannounced gifts from foundations which will put their drive over the top.

Ford Foundation?

One source of such gifts might be the Ford Foundation, of which Business School Dean David is a director.

In his welcoming address to alumni at Saturday's National Business Conference at the Business School, David would only say that the Conference's theme of "Individual Initiative in Business" had been inspired by Rockefeller's gift.

Rockefeller said at the time of his gift, "It is my profound conviction that the continuation of enterprise based on individual initiative is essential if the American form of government inherited from our forefathers is to be maintained and the nation's economic strength preserved."