3,540 Upperclassmen Register Today

College Total Will Be 4,700, Lowest Figure Since War

Approximately 3,540 upperclassmen will file through Memorial Hall today, and when registration is over the University will have its smallest undergraduate body since the war. The expected 4,700 enrollment figure--which includes the 1,160 freshmen who checked in last Thursday--represents a registration of 200 men less than last September.

Meanwhile at Radcliffe 703 upperclassmen register today to raise the Annex enrollment to 1,270, the largest since 1947.

The Selective Service will probably not scuttle the "peace-time" enrolment this year, but in order to be defrayed until graduation undergraduates will have to seek protection from the draft in one of the following ways.

Upper Half

(1) Stand in the upper half of the College Class--a status which under present draft policy assures deferment through to graduation and possibly graduate school.

This summer the Dean's Office compiled a breakdown on the upper half of each class based upon a point system with an A equalling four points, a B three, a C two, and a D one. To be in the upper half of the Class of 1951 seniors must have Group IV grades and have 11 points or better. The upper half of 1953 is composed of men in Group IV with a total of ten or more points. The upper half of the Class of 1953 also includes students in Group IV with ten points.

Deadline Today

Those men in the lower half of their class will not be drafted during the academic year, unless they received an induction notice before today's registration. Men in the lower half are subject to call during the summer.

(2) Deferment until graduation is granted to all men currently enrolled in any of the Reserve Officer Training Corps at the University who have signed an agreement to serve after graduation if called up by the Department of Defense.

Admission to the reserve programs is ordinarily open only to freshmen, but this fall the R.O.T.C. will admit to its advanced course veterans of 12 months service who are in the senior class.

(3) Deferments are required by law to be given to students of medicine, dentistry, divinity, veterinary medicine, and osteopathy. This applies to those men who have completed one year of the pre-professional course and have been provisionally accepted by recognized professional schools.

(4) Veterans are draft-exempt if they have served in the armed forces for 12 months or 90 days between December 7, 1941 and September 2, 1945.